Sciences Po is seeking to appoint a researcher to work with Profs. Jean-Philippe Cointet, Caterina Froio, Romain Lachat, and Jan Rovny in the project “Neo-authoritarianisms in Europe and the liberal democratic response” (AUTHLIB) of the Horizon Europe funded by the European Commission.
The Sciences Po team will be responsible for the most extensive empirical data-collection work package in the project. The post-doctoral research fellow will be expected to contribute mainly to the data collection and empirical analyses which map ideological configurations and dimensions by analyzing party documents, speeches of public figures, and social media activity of engaged citizens, and by conducting expert surveys on the orientation of political actors. The research work will be aimed at the preparation of high-quality publications, drafting and submission of research reports to the European Commission, and organization of social impact activities in co-creation with civil society and institutions in Hungary and at the European level.
Skills and Qualifications:
- PhD in political science, sociology, data Science or related disciplines (completed or to be defended within max. six months after the application).
- Excellent knowledge of R or Python programming.
- Very good skills in text and (optionally) network analysis methods.
- Experience in text-as-data methods (e.g., dictionary analyses, supervised machine learning, topic modeling, word embedding).
- Interest in or some background knowledge in the study of democracy would be an asset but is not required.
- Excellent written and spoken language skills in English.
- Strong interest in academic research, ideally proven through international publications and/or collaboration in research projects.
- Ability to work effectively, both independently and collaboratively, in an international team.
What Sciences Po Offers
- The appointment is full-time and available from February 1, 2023, with a contract duration of 24 months.
- Type of contract: Fixed-duration contract (CDD).
- Gross salary (salaire brut): between €2,500 and € 3,000 per month depending on qualifications and experience.
- Partial contribution for Paris transportation card.
- Restaurant tickets.
How to Apply
- A cover letter outlining precisely the qualifications and skills that match the requirements for the position, and previous work experience carrying out similar tasks to those required here.
- A CV
- A writing sample (an article or PhD thesis)
to email@example.com by 5pm on December 4, 2022.
Interviews will be planned in mid-December.