The Central European University invites applications for a full-time post-doctoral fellow position working with Zsolt Enyedi, Erin Jenne, Seraphine Maerz, and Carsten Q. Schneider within the framework of the Horizon Europe research project AUTHLIB.
Starting date: May 2023, exact date negotiable
Status: Full-time for 18 months, possibility of extension for 6 more months
Duties and responsibilities:
The post-doctoral fellow will be expected to contribute to the mapping of ideological configurations and dimensions by analyzing party and governmental documents and speeches of public figures, integrating textual data with other types of data, and contributing to the theoretical framework of the project. The research work will be aimed at the preparation, drafting and submission of research reports to the European Commission, submission of high-quality publications, and organization of social impact activities.
Skills and qualifications:
- PhD in political science, sociology, data science or related discipline (or dissertation to be defended within max. six months after the application—in this case we can offer a junior visiting researcher position until the PhD degree is received).
- Good skills in the programming language R, additional skills in Python would be an asset.
- Experience in automated web data collection with R (web scraping).
- Experience in text-as-data methods (e.g., dictionary analyses, supervised machine learning, topic modeling, word embedding).
- Strong interest in or some background knowledge on the study of democracy is required. Specific experience in the field of democratic backsliding or in the analysis of policies would be an asset.
- Excellent written and spoken language skills in English.
- Strong interest in academic research, ideally proven through international publications and/or collaboration in research projects.
- Ability to work effectively, both independently and collaboratively, in an international team.
How to Apply
Applicants need to submit:
- An up-to-date CV.
- Motivation letter explaining how their research profile and interests relate to the project and what could be their contribution to the AUTHLIB team.
- A writing sample (preferably single-authored publications).
- Names and contact details of two scholars who could supply recommendation letters.
Open until filled
For more details and to apply please click here.